Thursday, August 26, 2010

Get out of your comfort zone

I'm a big Windows fan. I've always used Windows, it seems pretty easy for me to install stuff, to remove stuff, I know my way around... it's like my home city.

For JRuby on App Engine, I'm going to have a crack at using Open Source technologies however, and I'll document my progress, and troubles along the way.

Why JRuby, why App Engine, and why open source?
  1. Google App Engine is cool.
    If I can write a web app and successfully deploy it, Google will do a lot of the work of scaling up my web application, so millions of people can use it.
  2. I know Java, and JRuby sounds like it might integrate with Java.
    Currently I actually have no idea about JRuby; I picked it out from a list at
    http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-java/web/will-it-play-in-app-engine, I figure that if you want to make it work, you can make it work - why not?
  3. ThoughtWorks is interested in both Java and JRuby.
    I'm trying for a job at ThoughtWorks, and I'm really hoping that I'll get the job.
  4. It's all free.
    You don't need to pay anything to use any of this technology apart from your electricity bill.
That's enough from me and my motivations. Let's get cracking into some work :)





No comments:

Post a Comment